Work With Us
We are hiring for the following position:
Tasting Table -- All-Around Wine Professional
Use your passion for wine to draw customers into the exciting world of Hungarian wine. Join our innovative company, and help promote Hungarian wine in a fun, exciting, customer service-driven environment. Be an integral member of our team, helping take our company to a new level of growth. Delve deep into the world of Hungarian wine: meet winemakers, taste (many) wines, and learn lots by working in a variety of wine-related capacities!
WHAT WE DO
Since 2008 we have been introducing clients to the world of fine Hungarian wine (as well as all-around culinary culture of Hungary). We do this through a variety of channels:
- Selling Hungarian wine (as well as spirits and cheese) at The Tasting Table Shop (Bródy utca 22)
- Conducting daily educational wine tastings The Tasting Table Cellar (Bródy utca 9), as well as private wine dinners and various other wine events
- Operating food and wine tours in Hungary
- Operating an online Hungarian wine shop (with shipping throughout the EU and UK)
- Exporting Hungarian wine to the US, where we have an import company, an online Hungarian wine shop, and a Hungarian wine club.
The full-time wine professional joining our team at The Tasting Table will assist in a variety of wine-related activities, primarily (but not limited to):
- Running the wine shop
- Running the wine cellar. Our focus here is leading guests through educational tasting presentations on Hungarian wine. We also hold private events and sometimes operate as a wine bar.
We are a small team … with a lot of passion and ambition. We are looking for someone who can learn quickly, work well with others, and help clients fall in love with Hungarian wine!
- Competitive wages
- A fun atmosphere, with local and international staff and guests
- Ongoing opportunities to learn about (and taste) lots Hungarian wine
- Hefty employee discounts
At the wine shop:
- Enthusiastically and knowledgeably assist customers with purchasing wine, and process the transactions.
- Maintain the shop’s appearance, ensuring that displays are attractive, well-maintained, and consistently stocked
- Receive deliveries and properly account for inventory
- Pour tastings, provide customer education, and help maintain wine menu
- Assist with cleaning and maintain the shop’s orderly appearance
- Assist with placing orders
- Assist with fulfilling online orders
At the tasting cellar:
- Host tasting presentations for groups, with the perfect balance of education and fun
- Manage execution of events, performing various duties to ensure success
- Maintain cleanliness and organization, including re-stocking shelves and maintaining displays
- Serve customers (pour and explain wine, prepare cheese and charcuterie boards, sell wine and products, etc.)
- Help pursue sales / private event opportunities
- Taste wines, and help decide which products to add to our selection (and exp[ort to the US).
- Communicate in a knowledgeable, professional, and gracious way to all guests; providing top-notch customer service at all times.
- Effectively promote Taste Hungary products (tours, wines, tastings, events) while serving customers. Help grow our email database on a daily basis.
- Write and design wine and food menus. Write wine tasting notes.
- Other activities as assigned
Experience and education:
- A demonstrated passion for wine (particularly Hungarian wine), wine education, wine making, people, experiences, and engaging storytelling
- Retail experience is strongly preferred. Must have the ability to present and sell products.
- Wine industry, hospitality, or tourism experience is strongly preferred
- High level of wine knowledge (preferably WSET Level qualifications or sommelier training), or some other equivalent wine education or work experience
- English and Hungarian fluency (spoken and written)
- Computer & technology proficiency including Google based apps and apple products.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Customer-service driven, with a commitment to high standards, outstanding service, and excellent hospitality.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to speak in front of groups and communicate effectively in writing. Use open, professional dialogue, and solution focused communication.
- Work productively within a team, with a spirit of cooperation, a positive disposition, and a willingness to do a little bit of everything.
- Proactive and self-motivated, with an “I can do it” attitude. Organized and detail-oriented, and able to work independently on multiple projects at one time.
- Creativity — this role requires a dynamic personality, enthusiasm, and energy.
- Embrace and adapt to a rapidly changing environment, and the moments of stress that can be part of hospitality.
- Consistently project a positive company image that is focused on the customer.
- A professional appearance
- Set, manage priorities and workflow; able to pivot and think-on-your-feet
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and lift wine boxes (up to 25 kg)
- Willingness to work on events and special projects
- Willingness to learn about all of the products we sell (and the producers who make them), and to learn about cheesemaking and spirits.
- Flexibility, and must be available on evenings and weekends.