Where do you start tasting wine in a country with nearly 100 native grape varietals, 22 wine regions, and plenty of incomprehensible names? Taste Hungary’s wine tasting classes are ideal for wine-lovers looking for a crash course on the increasingly fabulous wines of Hungary.
Our guided tastings feature a carefully curated selection of eight Hungarian wines. Together they will distill the wide range of Hungarian wine into a comprehensible story, which we hope will be just the beginning of your Hungarian wine experience. Over two hours you will get a good overview of Hungarian wine, including the history, the major regions, the important varietals, unique characteristics and styles, and promising trends. We buy our wine directly from the producers, who we have gotten to know well over the years, and every wine you will taste during the course of the tasting will be there for a reason. By the session’s end you will have a good understanding of Hungary’s place in the world of wine, and plenty of good wine in your belly.
This tasting is designed for anyone with an interest in wine, who would like to know more about the relatively unknown wines of Hungary. There will be a total of eight wines, beginning with an aperitif, followed by reds and whites (and perhaps a rosé), and ending with a sweet botrytised Tokaj aszú wine.
This fun, interactive, and informative tasting is held at our tasting room—located in the heart of Budapest.
We are happy to create custom tastings revolving around different themes, or private tastings or events. Contact us if you have something in mind.
Learn— A crash course in Hungarian wine regions, history, varietals, characteristics, and styles.
Experience— Taste the wide range of Hungarian wine, theme by theme, at our tasting cellar and kitchen (in the cellar of a 19th century palace).
Drink— A curated selection of fine, carefully-chosen Hungarian wines, mostly from small producers.
Eat— We also offer the option to order a Hungarian “hidegtál”—a cold selection of local artisan cheese and charcuterie—to accompany your tasting.
Essentials of Hungarian Wine
$60 per person
Optional: Hungarian “Hidegtál”
(a generous platter of local artisan cheese and charcuterie)
For private tastings or larger groups please contact us for a custom offer.
• This class is available daily from 6pm-8pm. Other times may be possible, on request.
• Two hour guided tasting led by our sommelier.
• The legal drinking age is 18 in Hungary, so anyone aged 18 and above is welcome to participate!
• The tasting will be limited to 15 participants (though usually it is less); two participants are needed in order to hold the tasting.
• Includes eight wines, mineral water, and pogácsa (Hungarian biscuits)
• You will receive tasting sheets so you can take notes and a map of the Hungarian wine regions.
• Our list of hand-picked favorite Budapest eating and drinking spots will be emailed to you after you book the tour!
• BONUS: Get a 10% discount on all of the wines (and other products) at The Tasting Table, where you will end your tour with a wine tasting!