Combine a morning tasting tour of Budapest’s Central Market Hall with an afternoon wine tour, and get an education in both Hungarian food and wine. After the market tour you will travel to Etyek, an up-and-coming region which is the closest wine region to Budapest (just a 40 minute drive), arriving in time for lunch with wine pairings.
There’s no better introduction to the culture of Hungarian food than a visit to the bustling 19th-century Central Market Hall. It is Budapest’s cathedral of food, and one of Europe’s finest market halls. It is an essential daily shopping stop for many locals and wandering its aisles reveals how intensely important food and cooking are in Hungary. During the market tour we will discuss seasonal produce and eating habits; local traditions and specialties; recipes and the Hungarian eating style; and the culture of food in Hungary. Along the way there will be several food (and drink) tastings. But the market is only half of the story that we will tell you. For the second half of the tour, we will travel by car to Etyek, arriving in time for lunch, which will either be served at a winery or at a winery-owned restaurant. Lunch will be accompanied by your first wine tasting, during which you will taste the crisp white wines produced in this small region. After lunch we will visit a family-run winery for a tour and the second tasting of the day. Etyek’s limestone soil produces mainly white wines characterized by their crisp acidity, as well as pinot noir, the region’s red wine specialty. It is a gorgeous little village, which holds many small top-notch wineries and old rows of cellars. Before heading back to Budapest there will be time to explore for a bit. You’ll be back in Budapest in plenty of time for dinner.
Learn—Discover Hungarian food, from the raw ingredients through the most delicious dishes. Learn about the history of the market and the food, and the culture of eating and drinking in Budapest. Learn about Hungarian wine culture from the source in the Etyek region.
See—A thorough tour of the different stalls and sections of Budapest’s largest food market, followed by a vineyard visit, wine tastings, and lunch in the countryside.
Taste—You will have several tastings at the market including a variety of local cheese and cured meats. In Etyek you will have lunch and two wine tastings.
Experience—A tour of one of Europe’s most stunning market halls, followed by a leisurely afternoon in the Hungarian wine country.
This tour is available year-round—rain or shine—except on national holidays and Sundays because the Central Market is closed.
2-3 people: 45,000 HUF ($205) per person
4-6 people: 40,000 HUF ($182) per person (this price applies to groups of 4-6 people who book together)
For larger groups, please contact us for a customized price proposal.
• This is a small group tour (which means minimum of two guests and maximum of six guests)
• Begins at a central location in Pest (exact location details will be provided upon booking). Drop-off is at your accommodation in Budapest (approximately 5pm)
• Includes Central Market tour with several food tastings
• Includes one winery tour and two generous wine tastings (5-8 wines per tasting)
• includes transportation by private car to Etyek
• Includes a three course lunch at a winery or a winery-owned restaurant
• Bottles of mineral water for the car ride are included
• Tour is led by a food and wine-specialized tour guide
• Includes tasting sheets for you to take wine notes to keep for your memories/records
• A list of the places visited on the tour (plus many more for you to check out on your own) is included